January 21, 2016
Learning from Energy Policy in Neighborhood
The National Renewable Energy Program (NREP) of Philippines seeks to increase the Renewable Energy (RE)-based capacity of the country to an estimated 15,304MW by the year 2030, almost triple its 2010 level.
To realize this goal, the NREP:
- institutionalizes a comprehensive approach to address the challenges and gaps that prevent and/or delay wider application of RE technologies in sustainable manner.
- outlines the action plans necessary to facilitate and encourage greater private sector investments in RE development.
Spectrum that NREP intends to fulfill:
- Increase Geothermal Capacity by 75%
- Increase Hydropower Capacity by 160%
- Deliver additional 277MW Biomass Power Capacity
- Attain Wind Power Grid parity with the commissioning 0f 2,345MW additional Capacities
- Mainstream an additional 284MW Solar Power Capacities and work towards achieving the aspirational target of 1,528MW
- Develop the first ocean energy facility for the country.